The cost for the plans in print is $25 (electronic ones are $20). To complete the kneeler, you will need at least the following:
- Rubber Mallet (a standard hammer will do in a pinch)
- Portable Drill
- Eye and ear protection. A respirator.
- Saw horses or worktable
- A variety of common wood clamps, including at least one 26+" clamp and a couple 90 degree edge clamps
- #8 countersink drill bit -- complete pocket screw kit and biscuit jointer are now STRONGLY recommended on the design update
- Phillips screwdriver or bit for drill -- square drive screws are recommended
- Right angle
- Yardstick or accurate measuring tape
- 3/16" and 5/32" Allen wrenches
- Finish and application tools
- Router and 3/8" router bit with 3/4" or greater cut depth for cutting grooves to allow height adjustment and folding, locking legs
- Back saw (a table or radial arm saw will make this much easier)
- Roundover edge routing bit, carpenters plane, or other desired tools for edge trimming
- 1/4-20 Thread Tap and Die (deprecated on the new design)
Materials and Supplies
- Assorted grits of sandpaper (usually 150 and 220), depending on original and desired final board finish
- Wood glue
- 1" x 8" x 6' hardwood
- 1" x 6" x 20' hardwood
- 25 countersink plugs
- 25 8 x 1 1/2" wood screws -- square drive recommended
- 32" x 16" knee pad cover material (optional)
- 6" x 22" x 5" foam (optional)
- 30+ upholstery tacks (optional)
- 10 3/4" round, adhesive wool pads
- 2 1/4-20 x 35mm knockdown bolts
- 2 1/4-20 x 70mm knockdown bolts
- 6 1/4-20 x 12mm knockdown nuts
The same plans cover the standard and wedding/double prayer benches. The difference is nothing more than adding the desired number of inches to all cross-members equally.
$25 may seem like a lot for 15-page black and white plans. We charge this much because of all of the work and software it took to create (and maintain) them. We are constantly updating our design and assembly procedures. If you order the printed plans, we will be happy to send you (electronically) updated plans any time you request them (here is the latest addendum if you'd like to download it right now).
Please note that the plans and our kneeler designs are copyrighted. By purchasing the plans, you are agreeing that you will not reproduce them or the kneelers for resale.
You need to have general woodworking skills, a work area and tools to complete the kneeler. The plans will include the latest materials list and designs. Please click here to add the print plans to your shopping basket (click here for the pdf version).
Return to main kneeler page.