Following is a modest but growing list of recommended books. The Rosary Shop does not stock these titles, but clicking on the links will take to online bookstores that do.
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church (paperback, hardback)
- Butler's Lives of the Saints (condensed paperback version)
- Modern Saints (Volume 1, Volume 2). An excellent source for inspiring information on recent saints. Contains several photographs and authentic paintings.
- Quotable Saints (paperback). A great place to find a variety of memorable and uplifting quotes from many popular saints.
- Catholic Study Bible (hardback, paperback). The New American Version with useful introductions and notes. Very readable and understandable.
- The Scriptural Rosary (small hardback). A guide to the rosary with appropriate Bible verses for each meditation. A great little book.
- Complete Liturgy of the Hours (4-volume set, leather). For those who wish to delve deeply into the liturgical prayer life of the Church, this set is a must-have. The Liturgy of the Hours (sometimes called the Divine Office) is recommended to all Christian faithful, even the laity. Most laity will not have time to pray the entire office every day, but just a little can be a great assistance in one's spiritual life. It also contains many writings from saints, Church Fathers and various councils (especially Vatican II).
- Shorter Morning and Evening Prayer (sturdy vinyl cover). An inexpensive, very convenient subset of the complete Liturgy of the Hours, this book contains morning prayer, evening prayer and night prayer (lauds, vespers and compline). A great place to start praying the Liturgy of the Hours.
- Catholic Household Blessings and Prayers (paperback). A great resource for families desiring to pray together and bring Christ into their life-events.
- The Way of a Pilgrim, Helen Bacovcin, trans. (paperback). A story about a wanderer who learns to meditatively pray the "Jesus prayer" (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner).
- The Threefold Garland, Hans Urs Von Balthasar (paperback). Insightful reflections upon the mysteries of the rosary. Challenging but edifying.
- A Simple Path, Mother Teresa. Challenging stories from those who've worked for Christ with the Sisters of Charity.
- The Story of a Soul, St. Therese of Liseux. The beautiful autobiography of a woman of great holiness and humility.
- Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis (hardback) The Christian faith reasoned out with clarity and great insights.
- The Great Divorce, C.S. Lewis (paperback) A classic work of fiction about a bus ride from hell to heaven. One of Lewis' most-loved books.
- You Have the Words of Eternal Life, Hans Urs Von Balthasar (paperback). Brief reflections upon various sayings of Jesus. Very inspirational.
- The Way, Josemaria Escriva (paperback). A book of short spiritual maxims that will shed light on the path of holiness.
E-Mail this info to a friend
Fill in these fields to e-mail a link to this page to a friend, along with any other information you'd like to include:
Add this information to your web site
To add a link to this information to your own web site, simply copy this code into your site's html. Replace the XXXXX with whatever descriptive text you'd like to use.
Click here to learn about how to become an affiliate.